· By Carley Sheehy
How to Create the Best Meatloaf Sliders
Meatloaf… love it or hate it? My hubs is not a fan, so I never make it, or so he thinks! I’ve actually evolved my mom’s “oldie but goodie” meatloaf recipe into our go-to slide recipe. If you love burgers, meatloaf or anything mini (like me), then you need to make these pronto! And they’re fun to eat! They’re small, so you can eat a couple, stick to your diet or save room for the sides.
The patties are bursting with flavor, so the condiments aren’t totally necessary. But, the hidden cheese in the center of the patty or the DIY mayo options take things up a notch, and add an ohhhh-factor. See for yourself...
Ingredients (serves 4-5)
- 2 Ibs ground beef (or 50/50 ground turkey and ground beef – this is my preference to save some calories!)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup Ketchup
- 1/4 cup steak sauce, such as Pickapeppa Sauce*
- 1 pouch of onion soup mix, such as Lipton Recipe Secrets Onion
- Mini burger buns! Most stores seem to have slider buns; if they don’t, you can use rolls
- Your favorite cheese. Highly recommend chunks of cheese like cheddar, brie or blue for the center of the patty for an ooey gooey surprise
- Your favorite condiments. If you like mayo, add your own mix-ins to store bought mayo for a ‘lil twist. Some ideas include sriracha, wasabi or harissa.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, mixing gently with your hands (do not over mix)
- Shape into 2-in patties of equal size and thickness
- If you’re feeling extra cheesy and fancy, add a small chunk of cheese in center of the patty, encasing the meat all the way around the cheese
- Grill to your liking, about 3-4 minutes per side. Alternatively, cook in a skillet over medium-high heat, also about 3-4 minutes per side
- Line up all the fixings so everyone can build their own burger
Ready, set, SLIDE… into your mouth! Please let me know how yours turn out!
*Pickapeppa Sauce has been a family favorite since I can remember… definitely one of my favorite condiments. If I had to put it in one category, I would say it’s like a steak sauce but it has a zesty depth of flavor that makes it much more versatile. Try it!!! It’s an authentic Jamaican sauce but it’s gotten so popular, I’ve seen it at my local Safeway.