How to Throw a Sushi Party
HOST: Prepare the sushi rice and spread of sushi fillings beforehand.
GUESTS: Assemble favorite rolls (perhaps ask them to bring drinks and sides)
ALL: Let the good times roll!
- California Roll: crab, avocado, cucumber (or substitute crab with salmon or teriyaki chicken, or additionally top with a salmon or spicy tuna)
- Spicy Tuna Roll: spicy tuna, cucumber
- Tempura Roll: shrimp tempura, optional avocado
- Philly Roll: salmon, cream cheese, cucumber
- Veggie Roll: any assortment of veggies
- Sushi Sides: optional
- Sake and Beer: optional but highly recommended
- Global Grub Sushi Kit (makes 8 rolls, which serves 4-6 adults or kids)
- Kit includes sushi rice, rice vinegar powder, nori, sesame seeds, wasabi powder, bamboo rolling mat, detailed instructions
- Spread of sushi fillings
- 1/4 Ib fresh crab meat
- 1/4 Ib sushi grade ahi tuna*, diced and mixed with 1 tbsp mayo and 1 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1/8 Ib sushi grade salmon*, cut into strips
- 4 shrimp tempuras**, cooked
- 1 chicken breast, marinated in teriyaki sauce, cooked and cut into strips
- 1 English cucumber, cut into thin strips
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Any other veggies of your choice (such as asparagus, mushrooms, sprouts, daikon, etc.), sliced
- ¼ block of cream cheese, cut into strips
- Optional sides (you could ask your guests to bring these)
- Miso soup
- Japanese pickled cucumber
- Teriyaki chicken
- Sushi ginger
- Drinks of your choice (you could ask your guests to bring these)
*Sushi grade fish is readily found at nicer grocery stores; ask the butcher if it’s sushi grade. **Tempura shrimp is popping up at nicer grocery stores (fully prepared tempura in the seafood depart and boxed tempura batter)
Detailed instructions provided in each Global Grub Sushi Kit
- And if you're a visual person, like me, check out this video tutorial:
- Special tips:
- Don’t use too much fillings or you’ll have trouble with assembling/keeping the roll together
- When rolling, be sure to adjust the mat as you go (so that the mat doesn’t become a part of the roll)
Spice up the night! One player will be the lucky recipient of a wasabi-loaded roll.
- How to play:
- Using any sushi roll you prefer, cut into 6 or 8 pieces and choose one sushi chef to hid as much wasabi as you dare in the middle or bottom of the roll
- Place pieces onto a plate, wasabi side down
- Give the plate a spin and take turns selecting and eating a piece
- Players must choose a piece and put the entire roll in your mouth
- No inspecting the bottom of the roll!
Also in Global Grub's Blog: Adventures in Cooking
Grow with us! We're always on the hunt for good people, so feel free to email us (Hello@GlobalGrub.com) with your area of expertise or apply to the current positions.
Whether you're new to deep frying or a self-proclaimed professional like my grandma, heating the oil to the right temp is critical for deep frying success. The best foolproof way to gauge and maintain frying oil temp is to use a deep fry thermometer. We always recommend using one, but if you don't have one, where there's a will, there's a way! Here's a popular technique, plus some great deep frying techniques.