· By Carley Sheehy
Review by Daily Candy
Gourmet Getaway Food Journal
Itinerary: Two ethnic meals (sushi, jerk chicken with coconut rice and beans), one night.
Supplies: Two Global Grub cooking kits.
- 6 p.m. Head to market to stock up on additional ingredients not found in pantry.
- 6:30 p.m. Rehydrate habaneros and mix up a marinade.
- 6:45 p.m. Uh oh, no blender? We don’t surrender — and mash with a fork instead.
- 7 p.m. Crank up reggae music to set the mood for rice cooking. (We skip the beans. We’re lazy.)
- 7:30 p.m. No grill for grilling chicken? No problem. We simply slice into strips and saute.
- 7:45 p.m. Time for a taste test. Despite minor tweaks, it’s delicious, albeit a bit spicy (note: Next time, stick to one habanero).
- 8 p.m. Feel confident enough to tackle medium skill level. Cuisine change: sushi. Start cooking rice and cutting veggies.
- 8:15 p.m. Take a wine break and learn to roll via the instructional online video. Looks easy.
- 8:30 p.m. Spread out a tennis ball-size of rice, flip, and fill. Using the provided mat, we go for the gold.
- 9 p.m. And that’s a wrap.